Logo

Chrysler Outboard 55HP Help!

Andre4248

Hello. I am new to boating and took my 1978-ish Chrysler 55hp outboard motor on the river and unfortuntely hit a rock. The engine did not stall but the throttle cable came off of the shaft that holds it in place. When I got to shore I reconnected the cable, but the entire mechanism is jammed. (Apologies I do not know the correct verbage on all of the parts). So once I reconnect the throttle cable it won't move any of the components on the engine. It is seized. Any recommendations or tips? I am pretty handy and am confident in working on it, but I cannot find any videos or threads related to my specific problem. Thanks in advance!

**I should add that when the cable is not connected to the motor it moves freely, so it is something internal with the engine.

Last edited:
The throttle lever also controls the shifting linkage. It sounds like when you hit something in the river you may have damaged your lower unit that’s probably where your problem is there are videos that go through breaking down and repairing the lower unit on your 55 on line.

Back