Logo

Can't remove oil dipstick plug from the top of the upper gear housing!

I'm now able to remove stick, yes it was empty...gears look good, I filled it up....AND it is leaking under the Anode.... can I just remove the lower unit and replace the seals, any ideas of how to tackle this(with no experience)?

what year ? Get a manual. or d/l one for free.

Yes you can do it seal it i mean after buying the right kit.

But i would seal both drives.

You will need to make a few tools. Nothing too hard just need some mechanical skills.

Owners manual shows 86-93...seems the best would be to remove the stern drive then remove the lower unit, in the manual it talks about removing the aft end of trim/tilt cylinder in a different chapter and can't seem to find step by step process(buddy tells me its super easy to remove unit). What worries me is the keeping record of all shims, and properly putting it back together, going to be a learning experience for sure.

so your saying you have no mechanical skills ?

See the trim cylinders where they connect to the drive, how many nuts do you have to remove ?

You will need a puller not to hard to make or maybe a sears one, and make a spanner nut wrench. A metal pipe will just remove the pieces from the end.

A vice will help alot. a plumbers wrench sometimes called a monkey wrench see all tools most guys have.

I forget but i think you will need a very long needle nose pliers and grind down the tips.I think they call it a toraque pliers.

This site has everything you need great service, they know there stuff, and prices can't be beat.

Never heard a complaint about shipping ether.

Thank you cliff, please delete with link to parts...I never even thought about ordering parts here...DUH!
I haven't been able to remove the lower unit from the upper, I should have done this before removing the entire unit(would have gave me leverage - I am picking up a vice today)
Chief - the tools you advised me to get or make - are these needed for removing and installing the new seals? I'll be reading more into the manual as well :)

Thanks guys, and I will order my parts through this site from now on!

For the life of me I can not get the upper and lower cases apart! The manual says rock side to side and pull up enough to move shift pin and simply pull off top unit.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,

It took some work and time but I got it off, not being removed for nearly 20 years it was on there good.
I was told by boat shop that they can test the lower unit(not sure about upper) as you can see in photos looks like I will need to replace parts!
IMG_0745.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0580.jpg

you got the trim tab off ?

Isn't there a bolt under it ?

Ok say you do have all the bolts out off or whatever you want to call it, use a rubber mallet, and strike it like a cheating wife.

Sometimes they just don't want to separate.

Maybe a piece of 2 x 4 on the lower, and a big hammer and give it a smack.

I saw this 3 legged tool on tv forget what it is called, but it's a giant vice that you use a foot operated lever to close the jaws, i was thinking of getting one. Just to hold the drive, but then again i just use my vise with 2 flat pieces of wood.

If i think of the name i'll come back and post it.

Just missed getting mypost in before yours.

Ok probably the best way to go is with a sei unit and a adapter.

Allow me to explain, first the sei comes with a 3 year warranty anything happens just return it. Hit a underwater mountain return it. Anything happens return it. Get another no questions asked.

Second it's cheaper then rebuilding what you have.

Third it's all new, complete and the fastest way to get back on the water.

The sei unit will need the adapter no big deal, i don't think the mods. will be pissed i posted this. And i think they actually sell sei stuff here.

Looks like atleast $1,500....OUCH I was hoping to just replace the seals with it leaking around the anode(plus fixing the two little holes seen in photo above). With the photos you can see broken pieces and wear to gear so, I may have to take it to the shop to quote repair or go with the SEI(which ever matches set up currently) and ofcourse cheapest since I have grown to hate this boat!

: 1992 reinell with OMC Cobra 4.3L V6

From a previous quest the op posted.

Do you know the cutout in the transom is exactly like the merc.

And did you know if you can find a merc drive 4.3 maybe a donor boat with a good drive, you might get it real cheap and transfer over the needed items.

The cheapest way is with a donor boat, motor or no motor 4.3. You will need everything back of the motor. You will need the control,cable, inner transom plate.

You will need the shift converter.

I needed a motor and the guy said i needed to take the whole boat. 400 dollars and the trailer also thrown in.

Now is the perfect time.

Say you find a donor boat with a bad motor and a merc drive that is good. And you like the hull maybe you can take the motor and install it in the donor hull.

guy just called me he has a 4.3 drive cobra just resealed in the boat what he wants i don't know. Want me to pm you his number ? You should take the whole thing from the inner transom back. He probably will give you the coupler and flywheel cause he needs to dress the motor for a merc.

Talk to him about the mani's also you could always use them latter.

Seabaymarine - it is 1992 Reinell with OMC COBRA 4.3L V6 not sure how to figure out gear ratio.
Chief - I had a boat mechanic troubleshoot drive and Upper unit is toast (he quoted $2,300 for NEW parts and labor with 1 year guarantee - if I get used parts he will charge labor and no warrantee).

SO I am on the look out for replacement unit or used unit!

Back