Logo

can't budge manual tilt 50hp-0 '84 Force

gatortail43

I bought this boat/motor with the tilt in down position (straight up and down), resting on the bar through top adjustment holes. I got a Clymer book which only talks about Power Trim/tilt but nothing about manual. I would like to raise the lower unit for driving etc. but can't find a way to get anything to move. I have a release switch set to "release" but it does nothing. I have tried prying anything that looks like a catch, and have loosened the sliding parts on both sides of the motor but they don't seem to be working for anything. The tilt won't budge like it is.

Any advise on releasing the tilt would be greatly appreciated.
Also I have yet to find any images that show the model I have. It would be helpful to see the parts workiing.

Thanks a heap

Last edited:
The switch is connected by a long rod and a plastic part at the top.
One of the parts is probably broken/missing.

This link leads to a parts breakdown on this site.
Parts 50-61 are used in the assy. some aren't absolutely needed (decal) but most are.
They can be installed while the motors tilted up.
#50 and 52 is what's keeping the motor down, lift up on #52 or remove #50

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/force-outboard-parts/50-hp-1984/507fc4a/motor-leg

I bought this boat/motor with the tilt in down position (straight up and down), resting on the bar through top adjustment holes. I got a Clymer book which only talks about Power Trim/tilt but nothing about manual. I would like to raise the lower unit for driving etc. but can't find a way to get anything to move. I have a release switch set to "release" but it does nothing. I have tried prying anything that looks like a catch, and have loosened the sliding parts on both sides of the motor but they don't seem to be working for anything. The tilt won't budge like it is.

Any advise on releasing the tilt would be greatly appreciated.
Also I have yet to find any images that show the model I have. It would be helpful to see the parts workiing.

Thanks a heap
On the trim there should be a thick plastic screw. On the left hand side lower unit.turn the screw away from the bk of the boat the presure in trim . and turn the screw anti clockwise slowly to release the pressure in the piston on the right small motor with 4 screws on top for up and down..large piston were the pressure is video on you tube tilt and trim repares.hope this helps

Back