Logo

BF50A lower end problems

JWB

I just replaced the lower end on my 96 BF50A. Tested it, and everything was fine. Took the boat out one day; it started and idled normally, engaged at slow or trolling speed, and worked fine. As soon as the engine gathered speed, the warning lights and whistles came on; the water stopped pumping or cycling through. Any ideas? The impeller is fine. First thing I checked. No debris in the screens either

Was the red (overheat light) on?

Was the whistle a steady tone or was it an on and off tone?

Was the replacement lower unit new or used? Did it have a new water pump?

If you stopped the motor after this event, when you restarted, did it still fail to pump water at slow speeds?

Mike

yes the red light came on. It was a steady tone, which controlled my speed so I could get to the dock. The replacement unit was brans new from factory. However, after it cooled down, I put the engine in the can, and it pumped water at idle. But as soon as it was put into gear, it stopped pumping. Now I'm just perplexed

If you put it in gear with a prop on it in a can, it is possible that the prop generated bubbles with the exhaust and the motor sucked the bubbles in and very little water. Try you test without a propeller....although, if it is a small enough can, and/or the water is not high enough on the leg, it just does not take in enough water. The water should be several inches above the top of the lower unit. The water pump should be well under water.

It sounds like it is time to drop the lower unit and check the water pump. Also, pull the thermostat and backflush the cooling system to get any potential debris out.

Back