Logo

annual engine maintenence for my new to me twin 270 crusaders

Dan Eagle

New member
Its been a year since I purchased my boat. Thanks to all who have helped me so far - the advice here has been great! Boat is 1987 36' Mainship with twin 270 crusaders, velvet direct drives. About 700 hours total and I put on about 30 this past year. I keep it in the water year round in the California delta so don't need to "winterize" but would like to do an regular annual engine maintenence including oil change - should I use regular oil or a synthetic blend oil in these engines? and straight 30 weight or a multi? I keep trans oil and cooling topped off - what intervals are suggested for replacement on those fluids? Also I believe there are pencil zincs i need to change in the FWC system. Does the system need to be drained down or can they just be unscrewed and replaced. I also plan to change the 2 fram external fuel filters and the 2 fuel/water separator filters. Any other thoughts on what I should do annually are appreciated. Thanks
 
I'd suggest you get the owner's manual and use that as a basis for your maintenance activities as most of your questions will be answered there...the Factory service amnual has some additional data and is money well spent.
 
Thanks Mark, I'm sure you are right that the factory manual is worth the investment. Regarding the oil question however, the owners manual specifies only traditional 30 weight oil. I'm wondering if folks are using a synthetic blend and/or multiweight as these engines age. I'm willing to spend a bit extra on these 1987 engines if it is a good idea similar to the "high mileage" synthetic blend oil I put in my trucks 1997 V-8 with 200K. All feedback is appreciated.
 
Be careful using synthetic in an older motor--I've heard horror stories on seals that suddenly started leaking.

I would definitely go with a multi-viscosity oil, however--one of the great advances in engine lubrication technology. Cold starting is destructive to bearings and other parts, that see friction and rubbing before the oil film is established. The multi-vis oils are thin at cold start, which promotes faster oil pressure attainment (and lessens damage to the oil pump gearing). Then, as the motor reaches operating temperature, the oil conveniently becomes thicker, protecting the bearings by maintaining oil pressure--it's great stuff!

Jeff
 
Also I believe there are pencil zincs i need to change in the FWC system. Does the system need to be drained down or can they just be unscrewed and replaced.
The pencil anodes will be within the sea water side of the Closed Cooling System "heat exchangers".
Many will serve as sea water drain ports as well.

Check these routinely.... many require several changes per season... especially when in ocean water.

.
 
Back
Top