Logo

Alternator Advice

omegahart

I volunteered to pull children with cancer on the tube last Thursday (Camp Kemo). At the end of the day, I noticed my boat was misfiring and losing speed but not rpms (1994 5.0 305 2 bbl, 400+ hours). Thought I might have trash in the carbs. Put in Saturday and the boat ran great for about an hour and began doing the same thing. Tied up to a friends 280 Abaco for a few hours and when it was time to go, two dead batteries. When I switched the Perko to All, I noticed an orange wire had come off the back of the alternator. The terminal had rusted away. Was able to reconnect the bare wire and borrowed a house battery from the Abaco. Boat ran better than I remember since owning it, no misfire, pulled about 800 rpms more than ever and picked up about 4 - 5 miles per hour. Pulled the alternator and found the threaded bolt for the orange wire was rusted and barely has any threads left. The other four connections have not rust or corrosion. Plan to have the alternator and batteries tested tomorrow but did not know if I could replace the threaded bolt or if I should just go ahead and buy a new alternator. Have seen several replacents (Mando 55 amp) that are affordable but are copper colored and not black. Any thoughts on replacement and if the black v. copper is a big deal?

Hi,when my inboard motor was getting work done[by me] I sent my alternator into our local auto electrical shop,and they went through it thoroughly.I would suggest you do the same.they are expensive to buy new

Db electrical under 80 delivered i believe just get the same one you have wires on the back wise.

I painted mine black when i got it. I just taped the screens and pulled the tape off when it dried.

It's a tough call i don't like to spend one nickel if i don't have to. Maybe you could tap that hole one size bigger or metric.

One thing why only that one rusted got water dripping there ?

PS that was a wonderful thing you did.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try and replace the bolt if the alternator passes testing. I looked at it again this morning and the only bolt rusted was for the orange wire. All the other bolts look good and they are below this one. Maybe I am getting a little water in around the seats and dripping on this bolt (is on far side away from motor).

The kids loved the day at the lake. SCE&G donated the use of their Pine Island facilities. Some of the kids had never been on a boat much less on a tube. A day with these brave kids makes any bad day look like a walk in the park.

Got word from the alternator shop, it looks like the bolt that rusted is connected on the inside of the alternator to a restrictor or resistor plate? Shop suspects the part is purchased from a supplier and not of the same grade metal as the other bolts. Should be on the water by Friday night.

Back