Logo

All I know is it's a Mercury 40 HP, Oil Injection

BassinDad

I just purchased a, new to me, pontoon boat with a Mercury 40 HP outboard. It's a 1996 boat and like a lot of people have posted, can not find the "tag" that has the model, serial number. It's a 4 cylinder and has quite a few identifying date stamps on things like the starter (4/1995), the mounting bracket (4/95) etc. I've been looking for the frost plug because some say that it has the serial number on it. Does anyone here on this site have any knowledge on this actual motor that would be able to guide me in the direction to find the serial number? I hope that this common question doesn't cause people to just ignore and not read it.

Last edited:
I suggest you do a compression test and write the numbers down for future reference.----You must confirm that oil injection is in service and working properly.------Or mix at 50:1 until you see oil level in oil tank dropping.-----Install a new water pump impeller !

Thanks for the tip. The motor does run well. I am one of those people that needs to have owner and service manuals in hand just in case. Also, if I do need parts, I need to be sure I'm ordering the CORRECT part.

I just purchased a, new to me, pontoon boat with a Mercury 40 HP outboard. It's a 1996 boat and like a lot of people have posted, can not find the "tag" that has the model, serial number. It's a 4 cylinder and has quite a few identifying date stamps on things like the starter (4/1995), the mounting bracket (4/95) etc. I've been looking for the frost plug because some say that it has the serial number on it. Does anyone here on this site have any knowledge on this actual motor that would be able to guide me in the direction to find the serial number? I hope that this common question doesn't cause people to just ignore and not read it.
UPDATE ! I now believe the tag that was supposed to be somewhere on the bracket is not there. I although did find the number on the freeze/frost plug.

Back