Logo

Alarm going off (suspect short)

riverjet88

Hello,

So here is the story....was on the river a few days ago and it rained steady. There were times where it was coming down so hard that I actually had to turn on the bilge. Boat and electronics were fine all day until i had to start the boat up to drive it onto the trailer. It was at that point where the alarm went off. I checked my temp sensor and it was still sealed (also OEM) and oil level was normal. The buzzing starts when you turn the key to accessory on and continues as i turn the engine over. The engine is a 2000 Mercury 2 stroke outboard. I was wondering if you could throw out any suggestions on how to do the following:

1) Read the suggestion to unplug the blue wire leading to your oil pump. If the alarm goes silent when you disconnect, you know that you need a new oil sensor. BUT, I could not locate a wire...is there an easy way to do this to test(tried googling and could not find anything on that particular model)

2.) When i had the boat on the trailer and the key was removed, I could still hear the subtle ring of the alarm...it was really soft but could still make it out. Ended up giving the dash a little knock and it ended up stoping it completely. Do you think the alarm going off when no key was in the ignition a sign of a bad alarm / short?

3.) If you do suspect this, how should i go upon locating where the short is? Checked today and all electronics work, anchor works, all lights and bilge work...looked under the dash and saw the alarm just dangling from underneath (may have knocked it out while driving home). It is called a floyd bell and it looks like a little red cylinder. has two wires...one is purple and goes to ignition and the other is blue and tan which I guess go to the two sensors mentioned earlier. is there a way to test if the alarm is bad? or should i place my focus on the connections from the ignition to the alarm or the alarm to the sensor in the engine?

4.) Last but not least, how the heck do those temp sensors work? When I opened the metal cover, i expected to see some sort of wire (being a sensor), but ended up just seeing a tube with a spring and a seal....how does the "sensor" tell the alarm something is wrong it there is no wire to it?

Thanks for any imput!

Pull the alarm horn and put 12 volts to it, If you locate the temp. sender ground that wire out

Thanks for that- ended up figuring out the issue...it was with the oil sensor. So now trying to figure out what to do from here....is there a way i can cover the sensor with tape so that the magnet doesn't trip? Funds are tight, so buying a new oil tank is out of question. Also, don't want to unplug the alarm or cut the wires connecting to the sensor...

Back