Logo

!986 Johnson 70TLCDC Top carburetor leaking fuel from Idle passage

w2much

I am currently miffed by this issue. The motor runs well and idles fine. I have taken the top and middle carb off a few times to check and recheck. I resoaked, check the orifice numbers, set and reset the floats. At first startup both the middle and top carbs were spitting fuel while running at idle. At higher speed the issue was not there. It seems as I have eliminated the issue on the middle carb but it persist on the top carburetor. Looking into the throat it appears as though the fuel is coming from the idle passage. I say this as it spits a bit from the low speed orifice and seems to be running down the butterfly from the idle holes above it. The amount is significant enough to need remedy. I have read that a small amount of spitting may be acceptable but this is a bit more than a little bit and only coming from the top carburetor. In a recent thread Racerone who is quite familiar with these motors mentions a labrynth seal, exhaust plate gasket or head gasket as possible contributers although the thread is not directed at the issue I am having. I have another carburetor from an older motor which I installed, it is cleaned and rebuilt. The motor actually runs even smother with it but the leakage persist. If the issue was behind the manifold it seems the problem would show at the bottom carb not the top. I am doing another soak on the carb but I am doubtful this will remedy the issue. I am pretty good with carburetor rebuilds so any other suggestions are appreciated. The reed valves appear in good condition but I have not pulled the manifold for a thorough inspection rather I shined a flashlight when the carburetors were removed for a quick visual. The VRO pump was removed and a traditional fuel pump installed. The pulse limiter is still in place from the VRO pump and this is where the replacement pump receives its pulse. I am going outside to mess with it some more . Any further clarification needed please ask. Thanks.

Back