Logo

94 mariner 90hp motor surging

rspears

Hey guys, im having an issue with the motor surging, it wont idle, but when I give it a little gas it sounds good but starts surging. rpm's going up and down. ive cleaned the carbs real good, rebuilt the fuel pump, and all cylinders have 120 comp. these carbs don't really have any settings on them so im kinda lost... looking for any ideas or suggestions. thanks!

Check the spark for each cylinder together using a spark test board to see which ones are intermittent.

Be damn careful you're not starving the motor for fuel or you'll seize a piston.

I'd go over the fuel system carefully, looking for air leaks (that inhibit fuel flow). You might have someone gently pump the bulb as the motor is performing to see if that makes a difference.

Jeff

Be damn careful you're not starving the motor for fuel or you'll seize a piston.

I'd go over the fuel system carefully, looking for air leaks (that inhibit fuel flow). You might have someone gently pump the bulb as the motor is performing to see if that makes a difference.

Jeff
Thanks man!!!

Thanks guys, I changed all the fuel lines, some were missing clamps, one with a small pinhole.. quick connect from fuel line to motor leaking. changed, now she runs like a clock just need to know what the proper idle speed I so can adjust. I have it right below 1000 now,but maybe that's still a little high?

Back