Logo

85 mariner L6 impeller replacement

emac

Regular Contributor
OK. Backstory, started up engine like I do every week, after couple minutes notice no water out the pee hole. Look down and see the muffs have slipped. Shut down engine, reposition muffs. Start up again, now just getting a dribble out of the pee hole. Shut it down. Was planning on replacing impeller anyway, so I drop the lower unit. Engine in neutral. have a little trouble getting old impeller off, end up cutting edge with dremmel and getting it off that xway, but I did try to tap it out with a tie rod tool.
So, get it off, clean everything out re-install the impeller. Fins bent clockwise while looking at the bottom of the waterpump, like in the manual. When reinstalling, I had a lttle trouble aligning the shift spline, and had to rotate it back and forth to line it up. bolt it back together, but now when I turn the prop, it makes a loud clicking sound. removed lower unit again, and still makes the sound. tried to rotate the recieving end of the shift spline from neutal to forward and backward, but at every positiion it makes that "click" when I rotate the prop. is it just that the impeller needs to break in a little, or is there something obvious I did wrong. Looked in manual and cant seem to find a solution, and dont want to fire engine while its making that kind of noise.
THanks.

or maybe this is the normal ratchetting of the cam shaft, having read more into the manual. Just dont remember it making that noise before, doesnt mean it didnt though.

Nothing to do with the impeller.-------------In forward it will ratchet with prop turned one way and it locks turned the other way.----------If it clicks in nuetral you have to adjust the shift cable a bit.

Back