Logo

78' merc 500 flywheel issues

S.E.texasman

Howdy guys,

Ive gotten myself into a pickle and im hoping some of you guru's are willing to help a guy on a budget...

Backstory goes like this.
I bought a 18' tracker with a 50 hp merc from a buddy of mine who was recently in a bad wreck and is now disabled. I know very little about the boat and outboard prior to this but he was in need of selling for obvious reasons. It ran and started without hesitation each time i looked at the boat prior to the purchase.
I took the boat out twice without issues and the third time it started intermittently missing. I took the flywheel off improperly and now can't figure out how to install it again. Im really needing a hand with how to reset the flywheel on its arbor and then time the engine. The cdi box was replaced after realizing my mistake.

Please let me know if I can clear up any details and thank you for your time, help, and interest in this new to me boating world.

Perhaps you can look at rust / stains / markings on flexplate and hub and match up the parts.-----Failing that you can put top cylinder to TDC and look for the timing marks on the flywheel.----Hopefully the pointer is still on your motor.

Piece of cake! Find top dead center on #1 cylinder by rotating the crank and poking at the piston with a screwdriver. Then rotate the flywheel on the hub until the markings line up with the pointer.

jeff

Good morning Jeff,
Ive got a newbie question for you. Which mark do I need to use?
I have several "bold" inked marks on the flywheel sticker @ 35°..... 33° then more...... from +12° to -12° and the actual timing sticker on the block says "at crank speed (300 rpm) the timing should be 30° and the pickup 0°-2
Max spark @ 33°

Thank you very much sir for your help and time with this. Im truly grateful for it.

Trae

Back