Logo

78 70hp evinrude cutting out on gear

IBSLACKEN

I had to remove my outboard and rebuilt the carbs and took it out yesterday and if I give it throttle in gear it boggs and wants to die. It will idle all day and fires right up. Any thoughts what this could be? I did replace spak plugs and it ran fine before i rebuilt the carbs. Maybe linkage adjustment?

Could be that the high speed jet is plugged. #33 in the photo below. I think all you need is a screw driver to pull it out, but it is easy to damage so I'm reluctant to recommend you pull it out. Try gently poking a not-sharp wire through and give it a blast of carb cleaner. If you do pull it out you should be able to see daylight through it.
70carb.gif

I doubt it has anything to di with carbs i just re did them at least i hope it doesn't have anything to di with carbs. I took all 6 jets out and git them squeaky clean. The manual says .04 gap plugs and i put in plugs suggested on this site [ l77jc4 ] wich i think are .03 gap, i don't know if that would be the problem. It revs up just fine in neutral but when its in the water and in gear and giving it throttle it bogs to tge point were it wants to die so its a slow boat as is. I'm thinking either tge ignition advances before tge carbs or vice versa but its set tge way it was before i took tge outboard off my boat. I did get a new prop but the same dimensions as the original one. Im convinced this boat is cursed.

Back