Logo

72 9.5 sportwin only getting spark in one cylinder

louisr

Not sure what to do next, motor ran great, ran out of gas and was in very rough water (4-5 footers). Now I can't get it to do anything, I have spark in one cylinder, but can't get to even puff. I tried a teaspoon of gas in the good cylinder and nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Pull the flywheel and inspect the coils.-------------My bet is that they are either like new or cracked if originals.------------Clean and set the points to 0.020"

Pull the flywheel and inspect the coils.-------------My bet is that they are either like new or cracked if originals.------------Clean and set the points to 0.020"

I'm kind of new at this, will I need a pulled to get the flywheel off? Thanks for the help!

Remove the nut and remove the shiny washer.------You will find 3 holes with 1/4-20 NC threads.--------Find a puller that would use these holes.----Caution do not put the 3 bolts in too far as you may damage parts under flywheel.

I'm pretty sure the compression's good, it is pretty stiff when I pull the rope. Also, it ran great until it ran out of gas and hit the rough water, but I will certainly checkout everything. Thanks!

Pull the flywheel and have a look. After that you can come up with a plan.

Am I missing something? I've got the nut and the collar off, using the puller, flywheel won't budge. How hard should I have to reef on it? Don't want to damage flywheel.

FINALLY got the flywheel off, coils look good no cracks. Going to replace points and condensed first hopefully that's it.

Replaced points, condensers, and plugs, it fired right up! Thanks for all the help, but I have one more problem. Water is squinting from a small crack about halfway up on the cylinder head. Can I use JB Weld to patch? It's a really small crack?

Back