Logo

6HP Shifting Problems

WinterRain

Hey Guys,

I have a Mercury 2006, 6hp, 4 stroke dingy outboard and I recently replaced the water pump impeller. I reinstalled the LU and the motor now only runs in forward.

So, I dropped the LU. I moved the cam rod (in the LU) up and down and the prop now spins freely no matter if the cam rod is fully up or down. The cam rod will rotate 360 degrees and will move up and down around 4".

I'm assuming it should move the prop in reverse when the rod is fully down, nuetral about halfway up (the prop freely spins) and forward when fully up (the prop spins forward). No matter the position, I can spin the prop freely.

I don't have service manual, just a parts schematic diagram.

Is there a trick, or an easy method to get the cam rod in the LU to engage?

Thanks,

Bill W.
Atlanta, GA

Problem resolved. Finding a free on-line service manual helped.

When reinstalling the LU, you might find that can insert the LU until the top of the impeller housing bolts just touch the mid-unit. If that is the case, you have missed the opening where the drive shaft goes into the power head. In fact, you have gone past the insertion point and are off to the side of the insertion point and just banging into the bottom of the power head.

Back the LU off until the top of the impeller housing bolts are about an inch, or an inch and a half, from the mid-unit. At that point you'll be very close to the insertion point in the power head. You'll have to try and keep the drive shaft centered and it should slide in.

On mine, the lower unit was set in reverse, per the manual, and I could spin the prop to help align the splines.

Bill W.
Atlanta, GA

Back