Logo

5hp Nissan won't shut off

good times

This is a 2013 4 stroke engine with few hours on it. last run fine in December. No work or maintenance etc was done on the engine- well, we checked the oil..
It starts, runs fine but cannot be shut off with the kill switch - as a matter of fact (and surprise), the engine revs up a few rpms when the kill switch is pushed or pulled or the safety clip removed - I have to disconnect the fuel line and let it die...

took the kill switch apart, looks brand new, no corrosion; manually disconnected the brown wire from coil and it shows about 14V from there (the brown wire terminal) to ground. take a spare wire and connect this terminal to ground and engine revs up too.

I call it the miracle engine; seriously, what am I missing..:confused:

Yes, if you ground Brown, that should stop the motor. If not, and the igniter ground is OK, you need a
3GR060410MIGNITER W/RESISTANCE CAP, C MODELS$140.00
Since you are in warranty, see your dealer.

Thanks for all the responses; the motor actually belongs to a friend and he got it with a boat he bought and it is actually a 2012 model[NSF 5B] - so not sure if warranty transfers or applies but I will check into it. The engine is now off the boat and we can look/work a bit closer at the details. The voltage at both the brown (kill switch) and white(oil pressure light) lead are 4 -6 Volt (not 14 as I thought earlier) still runs like a charm with no end. will pursue with your tips after check into the warranty chance.
Thanks

You need to check the date of purchase; If unavailable from the original owner, Tohatsu may be able to confirm it for you. The 2012 models were under a 3-year warranty, so see your dealer for an in-warranty repair.

Back