Logo

40hp hard to start at first

bobbee

My 40hp yamaha outboard is difficult to start initially, then starts quickly thereafter.

I pump the bulb til hard, choke and turn key. It cranks and cranks with no attempt to start, then tries a few times and finally when I am ready to quit, it starts. From then on it starts with no hesitation at the turn of the key.

It takes about 3 to 5 minutes of attempts before it starts.

Ideas welcome !!!!

Whats the year and model number?

A cold engine can be helped when starting by not only applying choke but also slightly opening the throttle (neutral throttle). If you have a remote control system, push in the button on the bottom of control lever and move lever slightly forward. Start. If tiller, whether push button or pull start, rotate tiller arm throttle while starting.

It is a 2001 Yamaha 40hp CT40TRZ
Looking at it this morning I found a small hose, appears to be a small fuel line disconnected.
Looking from the back of the motor on the left side, next to the center carb. The component is about 2" squarish like a diaphram. There is a rubber tubular component mounted on the top with 2 wires.

x9sOeYjYRY SAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Look at #34 in the schematic of your carb. Prime Start Assembly. Does the picture of this component look like what you're describing? If so, disconnection of this would make sense why you're having troubles cold starting.

PS.jpg

Look at #34 in the schematic of your carb. Prime Start Assembly. Does the picture of this component look like what you're describing? If so, disconnection of this would make sense why you're having troubles cold starting.

View attachment 15923

It turned out to be the hose from the part that 34 plugs into and is attached to the side of the carb. It went from that part to the carb and was disconnected. Thanks, problem resolved.

Back