Logo

2GM20F stalls when put in Reverse

Sailourboy

Would appreciate any opinion on my current problem with this Yanmar 2GM20F with 300 hours on it. Went to leave the slip the other day in reverse and engine stalled. Restarted put in reverse gear tried to increase the revs, stalled. Forward works fine. Back at the dock , revved engine in both froward and reverse with transmission disengaged, works great. Put back into gear works fine forward but stalls in reverse.
Disconnect prop shaft from anti vibration damper and engine worked fine and was able to turn the prop by hand both directions. Boat has a feathering prop.
With engine off I turned output flange both ways, put into forward and can turn in only ONE direction, put into REVERSE and can only turn in one direction for about 1/2 a turn before it becomes to tight to turn, is this normal for reverse???
Cheers
Ted

Would appreciate any opinion on my current problem with this Yanmar 2GM20F with 300 hours on it. Went to leave the slip the other day in reverse and engine stalled. Restarted put in reverse gear tried to increase the revs, stalled. Forward works fine. Back at the dock , revved engine in both froward and reverse with transmission disengaged, works great. Put back into gear works fine forward but stalls in reverse.
Disconnect prop shaft from anti vibration damper and engine worked fine and was able to turn the prop by hand both directions. Boat has a feathering prop.
With engine off I turned output flange both ways, put into forward and can turn in only ONE direction, put into REVERSE and can only turn in one direction for about 1/2 a turn before it becomes to tight to turn, is this normal for reverse???
Cheers
Ted
I have a 2GMF with a folding prop and this just started happening to me with the same symptoms. I just had the PSS boot replaced and the folding prop reinstalled so I thought this was where the problem was because it would also begin to squeal and was difficult to get back to neutral. I ultimately changed the transmission oil and all problems were instantly solved. I also couldn’t turn the prop shaft by hand. I’m pretty sure after looking at a diagram of the cone and gears in the transmission that it was engaging in both forward and reverse simultaneously. My oil was at normal level but must have been contaminated. 84 C&C 29 mk2

Back