Logo

280 Mechanical Tilt removal

jaegerboy

Good Afternoon,

I am doing some teardown/greasing and replacing on a number of items on my 280, and one that has been on my to-do list is removing, cleaning and re-greasing the lift. I have done as much searching on how to get this off as I think I can do, and it seems that the best way to is to re-hang the drive and use as leverage to push the lift up so I can remove it from the transom.

My questions are: 1) how much pressure can the vice rod take? I'm concerned that if I get too aggressive with the drive to push the tilt up and out, I am gong to damage the clutch, the rod or somehting ese within the lift, and 2) what exactly is keeping the lift from coming out? I have removed the set screws and the left moves left and right but does not budge up and out. I see there is a bushing at the bottom of the lift. Does that contract onto the rod or hold onto the o-rings so it does not remove (somehting similar to the bushings on the steering yoke)?

Thanks in advance..
Mike

If you push on the end of the rod to remove the housing, you will break the end of the housing and or the limit switch. It's only a thin casting. Try disconnecting the control relays from the lift housing and unscrewing the upper half of the lift from the bottom, i.e. leaving the bottom of the lift stuck in the transom shield while you have access to lube the worm gear and shaft.

Well...apparently there is now a 5 min time limit to edit messages.... OK... Re lift rebuild. See page 134 of the Volvo OEM Drive Shop manual for detailed instructions on how to rebuild/refurb correctly. If you doo not have a copy of the OEM Shop manual for the 280 drive, PM me with your email address/

Back