Logo

2014 Mako Skiff No Power past main power switch at panel

Mark Black

Ok guys and gals,
Here is the situation. I recently installed a new fish finder. Before the install I was told everything worked fine. After fishing the new transducer cable from the rear of the boat, under the deck, up to the controls, power will no longer go past the main power switch to the other accessories. I have used a light tester to confirm this. I have no Bilge, Horn, Lights or Aerator. however if I take the switch out of the configuration and just place the hot lead from the back of the boat to the positive terminal on the light switch then the lights come on fine. So, that means BAD SWITCH, correct? I don't know because I thought so and replaced the switch and still nothing. I am wondering if a fuse has blown that is hidden. I can't find a fuse in the system. There is a breaker at the back coming off the battery and black rubber nipple breakers in the switch panel. None of these are popped. I am at a loss because I just knew if I was getting the test light at the top of the power switch (main power from back of boat) but not at the bottom of the switch with it in either position, then the switch was bad. However, I find it difficult that both switches are bad. Any ideas, maybe a wiring diagram? Am I missing a fuse somewhere?

Thanks for everything,
Mark:confused::confused::confused:

you may have a high resistance between the battery and the switch....voltage may be present until you start to try to draw current and then the voltage is dropped across the high resistance...with the switch on you say no output to the switch....do you still have voltage at the input to the switch at this time?...if that voltage is there on the input with the switch off and is gone with the switch on then the problem is as described...probably right at the battery terminal..if the voltage is still there at the input with the switch on and missing on the output of the switch then you have a bad switch...

note...when measuring voltage....if you have an open then you can find it without trying to draw current...if however you have a high resistance connection you will have to draw current to measure the drop..

Got it figured out. It was simply a case of crossed up wires and the ground had disconnected from the block and I didn't know it. Thanks for the help.

Back