Logo

2013 90hp mercury outboard 4 stroke # 1B986113

atlast95

At wits end..
This is long so I will put some in bullet form.
Bought new, Merc and pontoon, every end of boating season engine oil and filter change, lower gear case oil change with new seals and always use stabilizer in the fuel. Pull battery and put on a battery tender.
This spring, just like previous years, reinstalled battery, pull cowl off, hook up to water muff start motor. Battery was weak (8 years old).
Install new battery a week later launch pontoon and moored to my dock.
2 weeks later take it out for a spin, notice no beep sound when I turned the key, backed out motor did not sound right, moving forward more prominent hesitation and only got worst with more throttle, could not even get it on plain it was “bucking” so much.
Pulled the plugs, they were wet (fuel?)
Purchased new plugs and fuel filter, started fine but everything went downhill.
Brought to dealership and did the following,
- 1 trouble code, overheating, replaced impeller which was due, water test with new fuel, same issues but stronger water flow.
- pulled fuel rail and injectors, bench test and cleaned injectors, #1 cylinder injector was “dirty”. Also did fuel pressure test good
- compression test hot and cold within specs.
- water test start fine but same issues.
They suspect the ecm is faulty or possible water getting into #1 cylinder.
Both are expensive fix if it’s the problem.
During these test no alarms or trouble codes (except for initial check) appeared
Looking for some assistance, meanwhile I have a expensive flower pot.

Your thread was the closest to my issues, but I was not getting any alarms.
Currently our mechanic is waiting on other mechanics and Mercury to provide some feedback, other than that summer clock is ticking.

I also had to replace the temperature sensor. Still had overtemp after changing thermostat. Temp problem went away with new sensor.
I just shipped my ECM to G7. Hopefully they can fix it. Mine has been fix one thing another pops up.

Last edited:
Back