Logo

2010 40 efi surges at mid range speeds

cbaker425

I have a 2010 40hp EFI that surges at mid range speeds. I can troll all day and it doesnot bother at all. Also can go wide open and is ok. I have checked water separator, changed fuel tank, Changed hose ends and tred some fuel cleaner. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Chuck

Check the shift cable adjustment on the engine. It may be possible that the neutral safety switch is still depressed (telling the ECM that it is in neutral) even when shifted into forward. If that is the case, when you reach some rpm (guessing at around 2000 - 2500 or so), it thinks you are in neutral and tries to limit your rpm. If you continue accelerating, the shift lever may finally move enough to tell the ECM that the motor is in gear and all runs well.

If that is not the case and the motor has been running good up until now go back to basics.

You have changed the fuel tank, but have you changed the high pressure fuel filter? Checked/changed the spark plugs? Drained the vapor separator and flushed the motor's fuel system?

Is the motor is pumping water?

I assume no alarms are going off and you have a green light (indicating oil pressure) and no other lights, when there is an issue

if you have done all the basic stuff, then it is time to take it to a dealer. If it is a 2010, it is still under warranty. It is also possible that the throttle position sensor, IAC or other sensor is not working correctly.

Mike

Check the shift cable adjustment on the engine. It may be possible that the neutral safety switch is still depressed (telling the ECM that it is in neutral) even when shifted into forward. If that is the case, when you reach some rpm (guessing at around 2000 - 2500 or so), it thinks you are in neutral and tries to limit your rpm. If you continue accelerating, the shift lever may finally move enough to tell the ECM that the motor is in gear and all runs well.

If that is not the case and the motor has been running good up until now go back to basics.

You have changed the fuel tank, but have you changed the high pressure fuel filter? Checked/changed the spark plugs? Drained the vapor separator and flushed the motor's fuel system?

Is the motor is pumping water?

I assume no alarms are going off and you have a green light (indicating oil pressure) and no other lights, when there is an issue

if you have done all the basic stuff, then it is time to take it to a dealer. If it is a 2010, it is still under warranty. It is also possible that the throttle position sensor, IAC or other sensor is not working correctly.

Mike

Hondadude, thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any red light on when problem appears. Neutral start switch is properly adjusted. Vapor separator has been drained. Plugs changed last year. Some times I can go a day or two with out this problem and I assume I have solved the problem only to have this reappear.

An intermittent problem is the worst to find.....

When it happens....does it happen right away or do you have to run the engine for a while?

Reseat all of the connections to the sensors, map, iac, etc. Check for corrosion on any of the contacts. Make sure the throttle body, intake manifold, iac are all tight.

Check the spark plugs and see if any of them look different from the others.

Just looking for some evidence of something that is different than it should be.

Mike

Back