Logo

2007 DF60 not engaging gears

DzyrAdapt

I have picked up an 07 DF60 and out on the water noticed it wasn't pumping much water as it was originally. So decided all good ill give everything a good service so I know its been done.

When dropping the lower unit, I did note the clutch rod got hung up and pulled up into reverse quite hard (unsure if relevant) Proceeded with replacing the impeller and driveshaft oil seals, put it back together went to start up on muffs and it wouldn't go into gear, was just clunking like the dog clutch was slipping.

Dropped the LU again slightly to inspect the linkage however clutch rod still seemed to move smoothly afterwards, but doesn't feel like it clearly detents into forward or reverse, can kind of spring back (not sure if normal on this motor as I haven't owned a suzuki). Was shifting normally at the controls as well. reset everything to neutral and hooked all up, then it jammed into reverse when testing.

Following this I have stripped everything out of the gearbox to inspect and noted the following

- gears and clutch dog are in good condition no rounding on the edges.
- Shift cam doesn't seem to have any abnormal marks or wear
- Actual cam housing does seem to have some marking internally but the spring ball and plate are still moving freely and clicking into neutral.
- Clutch Return spring is within spec.
- Push rod in good condition.

When everything is assembled on the prop shaft everything moves as it should no binding on the clutch dog etc. it is also no longer jammed in reverse and shift rod is moving properly again.

Put it all back together and when testing on the bench, I still have the same problem, although now reverse seems to engage, but forward is definitely not engaging correctly.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for what I could be missing would be greatly appreciated.

For an update on this one for everyone. Took a bit of time but I’ve been busy with work and waiting for parts to arrive.

I completely stripped the lower again, cleaned and reassembled, with marine grease on push pin etc as it was going to be sitting for a bit with no oil while I waited for seals.

Put the seals in, reassembled and motor is fully together.

With no prop, gears engage with no noise at all. Smooth as. With the prop, I get a little bit of an od clunk every now and then at quite low rpm in both gears, goes away with a slight rev. Now this is out of water so I understand that any slack in the system is grossly exaggerated with no pressure on the prop, so I’m inclined to put it down to this. But will find out after a water test.

I should also add, whoever set the idle last seemed to have done it when the motor was cold. As once it warms up it drops to 500 or so rpm which is when the clunking occurs, at normal idle speed it isn’t there

Back