Logo

2005 BF225 Water in #6 spark plug wet and O2 sensor filled with water, anyone ever have exhaust manifold cause this?

HonDan

I have been trying to help out a guy with BF225 2006 1600 hrs that runs but would not go up on plane. Connected DR H no codes. Tested ignition coils and injector with DR H could tell #6 was off so replaced #6 Coil and all the plugs ran great dry when I barked it. But with muffs on engine wagged a bit but revved up fine. Splashed it tried to get on plane, would rev but no power. dragged home and Pulled intake cover and noticed couple ounces water in the black intake and signs of steam cleaning in #6 intake pipe. shook it out, dried it off put back together, thought this might just be from VSt water hose that popped off. Ran it again on the hand tank with concentrated injector cleaner. Still wagged at idle. Pulled #6 plug and 02 sensor found water on both. Get this, oil is not milky and I did a compression check with snap on gauge #6 with the wet spark plug shows 190psi and holds it same with #4 On other bank #5 and #3 are at 170. So water not coming from combustion chamber portion of head. must be a pin hole either before it or after it. After running engine dry no hose water to clear it out, then turning flush hose on the 02 Sensor was completely filled with water. But water had not made it back into the air intake black box I'm hoping its the exhaust manifold as I can get that fairly easily. Ideas Anyone?

You likely have a problem with the original style exhaust tubes, which will allow water to get into the two lowest cylinders and usually blow the HO2 sensor. The exhaust tubes were modified about half way through the 2007 model year. It is covered by Honda Service Bulletin # 56. I'll try to upload it on this new system. If that doesn't work, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and I will return it by e-mail. Be sure to read the last page on how to mitigate the problem. THe last I looked, the repair kit was around $105 on Boats.net.

Attachments

• Honda SB # 56.pdf
    849.9 KB · Views: 13
You likely have a problem with the original style exhaust tubes, which will allow water to get into the two lowest cylinders and usually blow the HO2 sensor. The exhaust tubes were modified about half way through the 2007 model year. It is covered by Honda Service Bulletin # 56. I'll try to upload it on this new system. If that doesn't work, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and I will return it by e-mail. Be sure to read the last page on how to mitigate the problem. THe last I looked, the repair kit was around $105 on Boats.net.
Thanks for the suggestion, looked over TB and decided to pulled the port side exhaust manifold first check if it was something there causing it. Turns out there is a bb sized hole in head in the lower exhaust port just under the valve stem.

WIth over 1600 hrs on the motor owner wants to go with a JB weld repair .

Can anyone recommend the best JB weld type product for exhaust side with high temps on one side and water on the other?

Follow up on exhaust port patch repair. After patching the hole the engine is staying dry inside the combustion chamber but the engine still ran like crap. The water that had been getting in made its way to the injector and there was either salt or calcium deposits in the the injector chamber and the injector was not working. Cleaned out the injector chamber put new injector in, and now it running and revving smoothly no chugging. Ready for sea trial.

Let us know how the sea trial went. JB weld can fix a lot of things!

BTW, your HO2 sensor is likely shot if water got to it.

Sea trial, still little hard starting not starting like normal Honda got to hold the key a bit, once running it revs smoothly in idle. Idling out runs fine but would not make power to get on plane Agree O2 sensor needs to be swapped out. Think any other items like IAC need to be swapped?

Anyone know the denso crossover number so don't have to buy factory Honda outboard 02 sensor for $318 ? anyone having any luck with chinese O2 sensors?? I've had great success with Walker 02 sensors on the BF150s. which saves 50%.

Follow up; Replaced 02 sensor and removed high pressure fuel pump from the VST and cleaned the screen below the high pressure pump, pump still tested low for fuel pressure but I put it back together while waiting for parts. Owner took the boat out over the 4th July weekend it made power to get the 24ft proline up to 28 MPH. Hopefully it stays running thru the summer.

Back