Logo

2003 Merc 60hp bigfoot 2-stroke high idle and stalling

crash519

I bought a boat last year and it seemed to run perfect on the test run. It ended up taking almost 2 month for the sale to go through and in that time, something went wrong. Ever since I got it it won't idle. When it does, it's too high. When trolling, I have to run it around 1000 rpm to keep it from stalling. Engine will start right up with no problems. Really makes it hard to load when it want to die :(

I put kits in all three carbs last year as well as a new primer bulb, fuel line, engine fitting, and filter. The fuel line replaced is only that included in the bulb kit, not all the way from the tank.

When it starts stalling, if I tap the choke or push the primer button it will idle back up for a second then start loading up or starving (not really sure which) and die if I don't keep priming.

The boat runs out great and doesn't stall or miss what so ever when running higher rpm. When it is in the lower problematic range it pops, sputters, surges, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! There are no "marine" mechanics near me. Only normal maintenance folks.

Bret

When you set the idle mixture did you enrichen it a 1/4 turn? Check the throttle linkage for binding? What do the spark plugs look like? Brown or black and sooty?

Back