Logo

2002 2 stroke 75 hp mecury, any good? any known problems?

rb30e

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a boat this weekend. Its fitted with a 2002 Mercury 75hp 2 stroke.

I know that some mercury motors have earned the reputation as the "black anchor". Although from what I understand this is more reserved for some of the earlier 4 stroke versions.

Can anyone shed any light on what these motors are like and if there's anything I should look out for?

It has 220 hours and a full service history including compression test preformed at 160 hours with good results.

Thanks in advance

"Black anchor"? Must be a John-Rude area where you heard that libel!

What I know of these motors is that they can have piston seizure "issues" if the oiling system and fuel supply is not maintained carefully. VERY expensive power heads to replace. The ignition is fairly reliable and used parts are available (I have a complete set myself).

Jeff

I like these motors. Just a de-tuned 90 horse which is probably Merc's most successful motor over the past 20-30 years.

I personally wouldn't hesistate to hang a 75, 2 stroke Merc off the back of a boat I own.

220 hours is pretty low for a 10 year old motor, but if it has good service records to show it was maintained despite it's low hours, it could be a good buy...

Back