Logo

2000 merc 15 hp 4 stroke takes forever to warm up

tkms002

I have a 2000 merc 15 hp 4 stroke taht takes forever to warm up enough so it will idle. By forever I mean I was on lake michigan yesterday and it took something like 15 minutes before I could stop hitting the choke and keep it idling. Any thoughts on the problem?
Thanks
Bruce

If fuel has been left sitting in the carburetor for long periods of time, then it may be time to clean the carburetor.-------Does it take that long for the motor to feel warm to the touch ???-----Or is that how long it takes to start running smoothly ???------Having to use the choke very clearly indicates a blockage in the idle circuit !

Well, I found the thermostat and pulled it. It is stuck and I mean stuck open. Problem is Merc lists the part as no longer available and the motor is only 11 years old. Part number 855676003. If anyone can help me find one, I'd realy appreciate it.
Bruce

Part comes up out of stock. Seeing as Merc parts express says part no longer available I am wondering if this site will be able to get it once out of stock.

Bruce

I know. It seems Merc should stock something like a thermostat for longer than 10 years but that is my problem. I had a similar issue earlier this year with my 2000 200 efi. Needed a new fuel pressure regulator and that is NLA also. Fortunately my repair guy had a parts motor laying around and sold the regulator off that.
Model is a 2000 15 hp 4 stroke electric start remote control big foot
SN 0T169150
part number is 855676003 and I have seen on some sites 855676A1 as the kit but so far I can't find either in stock.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bruce

The law only requires mfgrs. to provide parts support for ten years. If parts did not become NLA or obsolete then fewer new models would be demanded.

The part is shown as available on the web -----------Maybe a hotter / colder one is NLA.-------------Talk / plead with your dealer to sort this out.-------------I don't see a problem here.

I've also never had a problem with aftermarket thermostats in outboards, so don't feel like you're stuck if you can't get OEM.

Back