Logo

2000 Crusader 5.7 MPI - Parts Help - Oil Cooler and Heat Exchanger

CaptnO

Hey guys I will be an owner of a 2000 Carver 350 Mariner with twin 5.7MPI Crusader engines next week. I am looking to replace some parts as there was some coolant found in the oil samples. Since the heat exchanger and oil cooler are both 23 years old, I figured I would start there and replace those. The Part number based on the diagram I have for these engines list the heat exchanger as Part no. 98646 for the forward facing. The oil cooler however is confusing me because under the parts diagram it shows two part numbers - 98123 (RWC Only) Raw Water cooling and 98570 (FWC Only) Fresh water cooler only. My understanding is that I have a fresh water cooling system since I have the heat exchanger which contains coolant. However based on the pictures of my engine and the way the existing oil coolers look it seems like I have the 98123 Part number installed. Could someone please provide some advice that is familiar with these engines?

98123 - Part for sale

98570 - Part for Sale

Pics of Engine

2000-Carver-350-Oil Cooler 2.png

2000-Carver-350-Oil Cooler.png

your link to the engine pix requires access so they don't help much.

on the oil cooler, I'd say replace the old part with a matching part. the difference I see is the orientation of the raw water nipples on the top of the cooler. the '570 part appears to have these nipples almost parallel to each other where the other part has them almost perpendicular.

your link to the engine pix requires access so they don't help much.

on the oil cooler, I'd say replace the old part with a matching part. the difference I see is the orientation of the raw water nipples on the top of the cooler. the '570 part appears to have these nipples almost parallel to each other where the other part has them almost perpendicular.
Yea that is what I am going to do. Now I need help finding the Flame Arrestors. Here are some more pics.

other than needing a good cleaning, I can't see anything wrong with the existing arrestors...FWIW, they don't look like the standard equipment I've seen in past years...but lots of part changes occurred as the injection systems were matured in the marine world...

other than needing a good cleaning, I can't see anything wrong with the existing arrestors...FWIW, they don't look like the standard equipment I've seen in past years...but lots of part changes occurred as the injection systems were matured in the marine world...
Again they are broken. I got a guy at crusader who gave me the correct part no. Now just need to see who has them in stock. R145023

I hope you have made progress, but if your problem was coolant (antifreeze) in the oil, unfortunately neither of the exchangers you mention have the opportunity for that to happen. Both use raw water to remove heat from the other fluid (be it oil or coolant) and both use raw water at much lower pressure than the other fluid so any leaks be into the raw water and will show up as sheen on the water behind the boat.

The one common location to get antifreeze in the oil is a leak around the intake manifold gasket which will allow antifreeze to leak from the exits of the cross passageway at the front of the manifold into the oil galley that contains the lifters and then down into the pan. It is a known problem with these engines if the the bolts holding the intake manifold to the heads are over-torqued. At least you should hope that is the issue as it is a straightforward fix and relatively inexpensive.

Back