Logo

2000 225 idle issue

Johndl58

Been lurking a bunch here and getting a ton of info on my current project. It's a 2000 aquasport 225 explorer with a 225 ocean runner on it. Boat and motor had not been maintained very well. Motor was pretty severely overheated by previous owner. I replaced head gaskets, honed down the warped heads, replaced water pump and t stats and covers. Also replaced all fuel lines and water separator and performed de carb procedure with seafoam and deep creep. Eventually set wot timing with the joe reeves method. Cleaned all coil mounting surfaces, and get good spark. Compression is a little wonky with top 2 cyls at 105ish, middle 2 at 85ish, and bottom 2 at 95ish.
With a 15x17 stainless prop she'll turn 4800 at 32mph. With a 15x15 aluminum it gets 5100 at 30. I know it should be in the mid 5k to 6k, but I'm not sure it will get that with the compression the way it is.
The main issue I'm having is getting it to idle correctly. I've synced all the carbs to open and close and fully seat. I set the roller on the timing cam correctly as well. I've also adjusted the timing screw all the way out and it still won't idle with butterflies closed. If I give it just a little throttle, it will idle around 1100. Only thing left I'm thinking is a carb rebuild/cleaning. Anything else I should do before I embark on that journey?

Back