Logo

1998 Merc 150 XL. Having alarm issues (temp)

Kingfish22

Help! I have a 1998 Merc 150 XL. Having alarm issue. Must be temp since I've pulled the oil injection and mix my fuel/oil in tank.
I replaced the thermostats, new water pump, replaced poppet valve -- just now replaced the temp. sensor, but still getting the alarm... Engine has a good stream coming out of the pee hole... its not scalding, but hot. Boat runs fine all day long at 2000 rpm (8 -10 mph).. But WOT or even around 3K rpm i'll get the alarm (btw, I have replaced both power packs and regulator (though I can't imagine that having anything to do with the alarm issue?).

Need to get a temperature gun to check engine temp at the cylinders.... and I don't have a temp gauge yet.
I'm thinking blockage in poppet valve -- the higher RPM issue being the indication? Any thoughts really appreciated on how to solved this issue!

Someone suggested I use "Barnacle Buster" as my water jacket might have a lot of calcification in it. If I am getting a strong pee stream wouldn't that mean that water is getting through the engine or does that explain why at low rpm there is no alarm as I'm getting enough water to cool at low RPM, but not enough water at higher RPM?

As well, has anyone used the product with success?
(https://trac-online.com/product/barnacle-buster-®-concentrate)

Many thanks!

Can you hold your hand in telltale indefinitely? Can you hold a finger on cylinder head for a seven second count without scalding your skin

Back