Logo

1994 outboard mercury motor- 75hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder

casoconn

I bought a boat earlier this year that was certainly a project. I spent months redoing the boat itself. Prior to doing all the structural work on the boat, I also addressed the engine, which would not start at the time. Initially I just cleaned the engine, replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the carbs, and everything started up great even though the timing of the engine was obviously off. After finishing the structural work on the boat, I go to turn the engine on and discover that it will not start now. I went through several tests, which led me to finding a bad stator (failed resistence tests). I also had a bad starter, which was replaced with the appropriate part as well. After replacing the stator and the starter, I was then able to get spark again, and the boat even turned over and started up. I timed the engine with a timing gun and it ran great for that day. I was planning on taking it out to the water the next day, but when I went to start it, it wouldn't start. I cleaned the carbs again, which did nothing. Then I checked for spark, and nothing.

This is about where I am right now. No spark and not wanting to spend the money on a new switchbox without knowing for sure if that is the issue. I know for sure that the starter is good and is the right replacement, but I am a bit hesitant about the stator replacement (CDI replacement). The reason for my hesitation is that the original stator was 398-9710A38, which had 5 wires. A red, a blue, 2 yellows, and a black. The replacement CDI stator, which is supposed to be a replacement part, had 6 wires. These 6 wires were blue, blue-white, red, red-white, and 2 yellows.

Is there an easy way to test the switchbox to see if it needs to be replaced?
Could the stator replacement have fried the switchbox (not sure if fried or not I just dont have spark)? If i get another switchbox without getting a better stator, do I stand a chance of frying the new switchbox? Please let me know what ya'll think a reasonable next step is.

Do you have spark on any of the plugs. I just went through something similar. Ended up being the switchbox and cant understand how it just failed. I was moving the wires around on the low voltage side to check it wasn't the coils or the trigger plate. I ended up replacing all four things.

Back