Logo

1994 Johnson 50/35 Exhaust Port Gasket

bigterp

New member
Replacing the water pump on my 1994 Johnson 50/35 jet drive. RTV was previously used to create a gasket on the lower unit exhaust port where it mates with the midsection. Motor has run great like this. This time around the RTV needed to be removed as most of it had fallen off. The manual doesn't call for any sort of gasket here. Should I leave it bare or use something like Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket, watch I have on hand, to make a gasket?

A second, related question, is what should I grease the driveshaft splines with before re-installation? I have OMC triple guard, Green Grease and Quicksilver 2-4-C type 2 grease (jet bearing grease) all on hand.
 
#85 in the diagram is Relief Cover Gasket Part# 0334281 and shows as unavailable. It just a paper gasket so RTV might be acceptable. If it were me, I'd probably by a roll of paper gasket material, trace the outline of the exhaust relief baffle (#84) on the paper, then cut it with an Exacto knife.

Any lithium based, water proof grease will be fine on the driveshaft splines.

1771444843439.png
 
Thanks! Sorry for the confusion, but I was referencing the exhaust outlet on the jet drive unit where it mates with the midsection. It would be the hole right behind the water pump adapter (part #67). I was able to upload a picture below as well.

10-4 on the lithium grease. Thanks again!

1771445482068.png

1771445853812.png
 
Back
Top