Logo

1990 454(FWC) Crusaders-Not running well-what to look for?

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
Took my vessel out this AM. Wind was 30MPH+ and waves were ripping (4 to 6). Engines started right up and got to operating temps. (165), oil pressure at 40. Got out of the marina and ran into those foul seas. Ran her at 3500 RPM'S, but she only reached 12 knots. It was like the trim tabs couldn't get her on plane. She seemed to be laboring to get over the top. She was throwing a large wake. I also noticed that the engines were pulsing white steam/smoke and the starboard engine was running at 190 degrees. It would blast out for a second then stop for two seconds or so. They pulsed steam/smoke like this most of the hour I was on the water. It was very rythmic, you could set a watch by it. When I tried to put the boots to her, both engines could only reach 3900 RPM'S and 14 knots. I've never been out in weather like this before, so I didn't know what she'd do. She usually reaches 4300 RPM'S and 23 knots at full throttle. I have to go back tomorrow to check her out. I think she's got bad fuel. I'll check the oil, antifreeze, fuel/water seperators as well as those trim tabs. If it is bad gas, what type of pump can I use to safely remove it from the fuel tank. I've got about 80 gal. of gas left that I'll burn in my truck. Any thoughts? What else should I check?
Nightstalker
 
Barnacles on the props?



You know, I never thought of that. It could be. I haven't been able to use the boat much this summer, and when I did, I was running her at very slow speeds. She's going on the hard in three weeks. I probably won't be able to check her out til then.
Thanks for the idea,
Nightstalker
 
Finally got back to the boat today to check her out. Oil seemed fine, right at full mark, no milky color, etc. The only thing I don't like is that the new oil dip sticks go in harder than I like and one, reads fine on one side while the other side has spotty oil higher than the full mark. It's not solid oil, it's streaky. I guess it picks it up from the side of the oil tube on that side. I switched the sticks and they both do it on the Starboard engine. Antifreeze in the heat exchangers was right where it should be. Fuel/water seperators were OK also. I'll check the trim tabs tomorrow when it stops raining. I gotta figure out why she is bogging down and throwing white steam out of the exhausts. Could that steam be a natural occurance?
Nighttalker
 
Last edited:
My bet is still on fouled props. The steam is an early indicator of lower than optimum raw water flow. Oil cooler, Pump, elbows, risers, a few other items as well could contribute.
 
My bet is still on fouled props. The steam is an early indicator of lower than optimum raw water flow. Oil cooler, Pump, elbows, risers, a few other items as well could contribute.
I'm thinking you are right. A guy at the marina just told me the same thing. Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me, but at least I know where to start looking. I'll put that new IR heat gun to use first.
Thanks Again,
Nightstalker
 
Back
Top