Logo

1989 Johnson 60Hp need a lower unit

john

Contributing Member
" I am in the process of findi

" I am in the process of finding a lower unit for the above 1989 60HP. Can somebody give me an idea of what years/models would fit this motor. In me looking around thus far, it seems there may have been a change of some kind from 1988 to 1989?? I get the impression that most of the 1980's 3 cylinders were all the same and then the 1989 is different. I find this strange, but thought I'd ask the experts. Also, same question on the Exhaust housing (midsection). (Yes, it hit the rocks, but I swear I didn't do it.) "
 
The spline on the drive shaft

The spline on the drive shaft is different. The earlier years do not fit. You would have to change the drive shaft to make an earlier unit fit.
 
" Ok, That makes sense. It so

" Ok, That makes sense. It sounds like the housing would be the same if I wanted to swap out and replace some guts. Thanks Sparky. "
 
" John,

I think the shift r


" John,

I think the shift rods may be different also. Some are not interchangeable. Joe should be able to tell us.

Tony "
 
Back
Top