Logo

1989 50 hp johnson great power in reverse revs high. Idles good. No power in forward.

PeterW

When I put it in forward it has no power. Only goes 15 mph. Tried to manually move linkage on motor opening up all the way. Motor boggs out bad. When I put in reverse motor has full power and revs out high when I full throttle it in reverse. It idles good. The prop is in descent shape. Whats going on

Start your trouble shooting with a compression test !!!

t
Thank you much . I will start there.But i do have a quick question in regards to compression.Why would I have full power in reverse ,wouldnt being in reverse be considerded under a load It revs up quickly and u can feel the torque of the motor. then push throttle forward starts off normal until the throttle is maxed . From slight throttle in between to full throttle same rev and barely any gain in speed . I manually played with the throttle linkage as my friend controlled steering and the throttle is fully opened. Should the compression be the same as the motor is in reverse or in forward.If I had low compression would being in reverse act the same as being in forward. Thanks for ur help and response you guys r great . Im obviously quite new to this sport but will listen to all ur suggestions to help me gaine the knowledge needed to grow TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back