Logo

1983 Mariner 9.9C water flow issue

blackdog1970

Hello, Looking for some insight on a water blockage issue in the the water tube. I have replaced the water pump. I'm getting water pumping through water pump as I hooked up a drill to drive shaft and water pumped after kit was installed. No water pumping after reinstalling lower unit. Next step was removing rubber hose from the fitting on the side of the motor that connects to another fitting at bottom rear of motor housing which I'm guessing connects to the water pick up tube. Water pumps out of fitting on the side of the motor. Next I reinstalled hose on vertical fitting at rear of motor case and tried blowing through that and it's plugged. Tried blowing some air through the hose which blew it off the fitting. So I believe that is where the blockage is just not sure how to clear it. Took a wire and put in the fitting but it must make a quick turn because it didn't go in that fitting very far before it stopped. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the fitting I can't blow through. Also I'm not 100% sure where the pee hole is. There's no little hose out the side like my big motor. I'm thinking possibly near the exhaust hole in the first pic. Tried weed wacker line in the fitting but it still would not go very far.

20230608_184459.jpg

20230608_183956.jpg

I’m not familiar with the model, but it looks like that little crusty hole above the exhaust lines up with that nipple. That tube should come from the exhaust cover, if it’s the tell tale.

Can anyone tell me if I have water pumping out through the motor can I just bypass running hose running to plugged outlet and drill a hole through case and pull hose out to discharge water like alot of other outboards do?

Back