Logo

1981 Chris Craft Commander 454 exhaust gas bubbling through sea strainer

BootlegPass

My 454 is overheating and exhaust gas is bubbling back through the sea strainer. Pressure tested heat exchanger; replaced impeller even though old one was intact; new 160 thermostat. Both mechanic and I are stumped?

My 454 is overheating and exhaust gas is bubbling back through the sea strainer. Pressure tested heat exchanger; replaced impeller even though old one was intact; new 160 thermostat. Both mechanic and I are stumped?
Ayuh,...... Pull, 'n check the risers,.....
The water has to get into, 'n back out of the system,......
If the risers are plugged up, it can't get out,....

No risers on these manifolds. Can't find replacement manifolds, they don't exist. Parts store said they are obsolete and not available. Numbers on manifold are "Chris Craft Marine engine Model 454 25, firing order 12756348, Engine No 78 2738 Chris Craft Corporation, Pompano Beach, Florida" Searched all over internet, these manifolds don't seem to exist.

exhaust elbow(s) is likely clogged.

may be time to switch over to another brand of exhaust system if you can't get parts for what you have...

I believe you have a reverse rotation (right hand turning) GM (Chevrolet) 454. Any after market exhaust manifold for the 454 will fit. You will just have to adapt your exhaust system to the manifold.

Back