Logo

1978 Johnson Seahorse 70hp outboard exhaust

I have the above outboard which I am "pretty sure" is a 2 stroke 3 cylinder...... black residue/smoke/or oil residue is forming on back side of lower unit. Cleaned it with dish soap. Went to lake burned 12 gallons fuel mixed 50:1.The residue is back. Seems to start just below two small ports on upper portion on the back of lower unit running downward down the entire unit getting lighter from top to bottom. This is very dark black residue. Additionally the motor is producing light grey smoke on cold start in or out of water. As engine warms up less grey smoke shows. Once warmed up motor runs like a champ. Any ideas what might be going on here?

By "two small ports", you're speaking of the two holes at the top of the long exhaust housing, those are exhaust relief ports whose purpose is explained below.

Light gray or white smoke usually indicates slight traces of water that is somehow being introduced into the combustion chamber(s) (failing head gasket, flaw in sealing surface of block/head, etc).

We need the Model Number of that engine... what is it?

Do a compression check. With all spark plugs removed, what is the compression psi of each individual cylinder?

With s/plugs still removed.... check the spark with a spark tester that incorporates a adjustable 7/16" gap. The spark, at cranking speed should jump that gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

(Exhaust Relief Ports - Exhaust Housing (Inner/Outer)
(J Reeves)

The long housing between the powerhead and the lower unit is called the exhaust housing. There is a inner housing within it that has a heavy duty seal around the bottom of it, or heavy duty seals around a inner extension between the housing and the lower unit.

The red hot exhaust travels down thru that inner tube and out the propeller with a somewhat supply of water to cool the propeller hub. A good amount of water surrounds and fills the space between the outer and inner tube, otherwise the outer housing would get so hot that the paint would burn off.

Some water pumps, for some reason (differing even when new) exert a great amount of water pressure, and if the exhaust housing seals are in perfect condition, the water fills the tube to a point of overflowing.

This brings into play those two holes or slots, whichever the engine might have, at the top rear portion of the exhaust housing just below the powerhead.

Now, if those two holes/slots weren't there, water would continue to flow up into the cylinders. Water not flowing out of those holes is no concern for alarm UNLESS that outer housing suddenly becomes extremely hot..... the warning horn should sound long before that happens.

The main reason for those holes being there (exhaust relief holes) is that when at an idle, there is an extreme amount of resistance encountered by the exhaust trying to escape due the fact that the outlet via the propeller is now blocked by a wall of water. The escape route in this case is for the exhaust to escape out those two holes, otherwise the engine would slow down quite quickly and die. If exhaust cannot escape, air/fuel cannot gain entrance to the engine.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back