Logo

1977 Johnson 70hp Trim wiring

Trentanious

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the help with my last issues. She's running good as can be at the moment. I am however now trying to get the trim wired up. Gave it a very quick direct to battery test and the motor does work I'm just having a hell of a time finding how to properly wire a switch in. I've found plenty of info for 1978 models but cannot find a diagram for a 77. All I have at the moment are three wires with ring tongues coming directly from the trim unit. Blue, Green and Black are the wire colors. I'm assuming this correlates to up, down and ground but honestly can not find any info on pre-78 stuff. I believe its a Calco unit but that's about as much as I know at the moment.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Black is ground.----Blue ( sky ) is up.------Green ( grass ) is down.-----Do you have the solenoid for the UP part of the circuit.

I do not have anything but the wires coming from the motor unless the solenoid is tucked in with the trim motor between the lower unit and the transom? I'm a total newbie with this stuff.

Solenoid on those is usually in a wee black box ----INSIDE-- the boat and on the transom somewhere high up off the floor.

I bought the motor separate from the boat actually so all I have are the leads coming from the motor. Trying to figure out what all I need to make the leads actually move the motor.

Does your trim unit have 2 cylinders outside of the swivel bracket , yes or no ?----Parts diagrams can be found on this site.----engine diagrams------Then 1977 accessories.

Nope, everything is contained within the unit between the transom and motor. No protruding pieces. I also incorrectly identified as a 77 when today I realized it was a 78 via the wiring diagrams I was chasing. I did find the correct diagrams for the unit but there are no part numbers so I’m not sure which solenoid or relays I’m looking for.

Back