Logo

1976 Johnson 70 HP - Carb/Idle Screw Question

fancyb8t

Hey all,

I recently purchased an old bass boat (my first boat) with a 1976 Johson 70 HP engine. Been having trouble getting it to idle properly, even though I've done an OEM carb rebuild, new fuel pump (and lines), new gas tank/bulb/connectors, etc.

When I got it, I found that the upper and lower carbs did not have an idle screw, so I purchased the #30 idle screws. Then I found that the middle carb had a #67 idle screw. Lastly, the carb part numbers appear to be from a 1983 Johnson 75 HP engine. My motor has a fuel primer solenoid, so someone from a different forum told me that makes sense. The carbs are all identical, which has me concerned something is wrong there too? I thought they were supposed to be unique/slightly different from each other?

I can get the motor to idle if I spray a little seafoam into the carbs. At that point it runs like a champ. Once the seafoam burns off and I shut it down for a little bit, the idle problems come back.

Does anyone know if I need the #42 idle screws for these carbs since that's what size shows up for the '83 Johnson 75 parts diagram? Is that my problem?

Compression is: 138,128,138

When on the lake, I am able to get the motor going at higher RPMs if I prime it right after engaging forward, then give it throttle (otherwise it will bog down and die when attempting to increase throttle).

Thanks in advance!

I respond too.----The 1983 model 75 HP parts pages seem to show adjustable low speed mixture needle.-----On this site.----The question is , what is installed on your motor ?

I respond too.----The 1983 model 75 HP parts pages seem to show adjustable low speed mixture needle.-----On this site.----The question is , what is installed on your motor ?

Can you show an example? Maybe I don't know what you're referring to exactly ��

What carburetors do you have then ??----How can anyone help if you have a motor that is not original ?

I've attached photos of the part numbers on the carburetors. I could be wrong on the year engine these were supposed to come with (just based that off of what I researched online).

Also attached an image of the carbs (with the top one removed) so you can get an idea of what they look like installed.

Attachments

• PXL_20201003_033134580.jpg
    PXL_20201003_033134580.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20201003_033120800.jpg
    PXL_20201003_033120800.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20201003_025323934.jpg
    PXL_20201003_025323934.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 47
At one time I bought 21 of these 70 HP motors at an auction .----I know what these carburetors and motors look like !

At one time I bought 21 of these 70 HP motors at an auction .----I know what these carburetors and motors look like !

Awesome!

So do you have any idea if 1) these carbs are appropriate for this motor? And 2) do I need different size low/high speed orifices?

Just trying to rule things out to figure out why it won't idle properly... Might attempt decarbonation.

Well -----I would take the cylinder head off to inspect in there.----Will cost you a head gasket.-----Cheap on the boat /boating ( bring on a thousand ) scale of things.-----Or perhaps on of the 3 gaskets on the exhaust manifold is leaking.-----Or the lower crankshaft seal is shot.----Or a bad bearing has wiped out a labarynth seal ( crankcase compression ) might be an issue.----Up to you to inspect and trouble shoot this motor.

Well -----I would take the cylinder head off to inspect in there.----Will cost you a head gasket.-----Cheap on the boat /boating ( bring on a thousand ) scale of things.-----Or perhaps on of the 3 gaskets on the exhaust manifold is leaking.-----Or the lower crankshaft seal is shot.----Or a bad bearing has wiped out a labarynth seal ( crankcase compression ) might be an issue.----Up to you to inspect and trouble shoot this motor.

Okay, thank you for the input.

Back