Logo

1976 Evinrude 15 HP

Contributing Member
Just picked this up from a backyard mechanic.

Besides the carb, what else makes this different than a 9.9

How do I tune this engine for peak performance?

Screenshot-20210809-043529-Kijiji.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the color scheme for 76' was gold. I guess the smaller engines were blue.
Graphics to seem to be 76'. My mistake.

Best advice I could give is get the factory manual.
That thing looks super clean, and 15s are hard to find where I live.

Jim

I thought the color scheme for 76' was gold. I guess the smaller engines were blue.
Graphics to seem to be 76'. My mistake.

Best advice I could give is get the factory manual.
That thing looks super clean, and 15s are hard to find where I live.

Jim
Johnsons were green/gold

1976 Evinrude 15hp vs 2000 Tohatsu 9.8hp

I'm considering picking up the Tohatsu after owning a few Johnson/Evinrude 9.9's and 15's .
Main reason for the upgrade would be weight . I assemble and transport every outing.
Seller claims the 2000 Tohatsu is faster / better than any old Evinrude 15 because they measure at the prop while the Evinrudes measure at the powerhead somewhere around 12 hp.

Someone told me once, there is no replacement for displacement
2000 Tohatsu is 169 cc @ 57 lbs
The Johnson / Evinrudes are 215 and 255 cc respectively @ roughly 70-80 lbs

Would a 1993-2007 Johnson Evinrude 15 be a better purchase ?
or would the 2000 Tohatsu be a better purchase ?
To me, weight savings would be significant if the power is the same.

Would I notice a big difference between a newer 1993 -2007 15 than my older 1976 15 ?
or would the power be the same across the board more or less for all 3 outboards ?

The boat would be a 10 ft soft bottom inflatable weighing under 100lbs .

The 1993 and up Johnson / Evinrude are bigger displacement than 1992 and older and are prop rated.----Look into availability of parts for Tohatsu and compare with Johnson.

I agree . Likely will get stressed out when something breaks and parts are rare , hard to find , expensive with long wait times. How do you feel about the difference between displacement 255 vs 169 . It's hard to downsize and lose power right.

Parts to keep a 1984 model 15 HP running for the next 40 years is not a problem in my opinion.----Sorry----I know how and where to shop for the parts !

Parts to keep a 1984 model 15 HP running for the next 40 years is not a problem in my opinion.----Sorry----I know how and where to shop for the parts !

I second this^^^^^. I had two, just sold one to clear up space. I kept the one I modded to a 15+hp.

Parts are pretty cheap. Re-seal the lower unit, water pump kit, new upper water supply tube seal, tune up kit, fuel pump kit, new t-stat and run 91 non-oxy non-alcohol fuel with high quality oil and you have a motor for the next 40 years. If you so chose to a 15 hp carb and new prop for kicks.

[FONT=&quot]What's the general concensus on using aftermarket parts vs OEM parts.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Specifically ignition related items (points, condensers, coils, ect)[/FONT]

I guess it is like anything else really. Sometimes aftermarket is good, fitment and function. Sometimes you get a bum steer. But the same goes for OEM. Right now OEM parts are everywhere it seems. Like I mentioned, go through it now, take care of it, and you will get a long life outa it. If you are worried about parts becoming sparse, buy a extra impeller, tune up kit maybe a seal or two and stick them in storage. Doubt you will ever need to touch it again really.

I guess it is like anything else really. Sometimes aftermarket is good, fitment and function. Sometimes you get a bum steer. But the same goes for OEM. Right now OEM parts are everywhere it seems. Like I mentioned, go through it now, take care of it, and you will get a long life outa it. If you are worried about parts becoming sparse, buy a extra impeller, tune up kit maybe a seal or two and stick them in storage. Doubt you will ever need to touch it again really.

Would some BRP points possibly have manufacturing defects while Sierra proved to be a more cost effective and ..... at least fit .

My concern was never for BRP , instead the concern was re : Tohatsu

Last edited:
Back