Logo

1975 70hp Johnson good buy or not?

Oldboatguy8911

Contributing Member
Found a 1975 70 hp Johnson for $250
meh said it ran last time he used it ( couple yrs ago) tilt and trim work comes with harness and cables is this a good buy? And should I bring a gas can and a battery before I buy to maybe turn it over? What should I look for on the motor before I buy?

For one thing the 70 HP did not come from the factory with tilt and trim. Electric tilt only.----They all ran the last time they were used !-------------Best to hear it run in the water before shelling out any money.------If it is a carefully maintained motor it is worth $250.00.----------Be prepared to give it a good inspection and put in a new impeller if you buy it.

I have a '75 115 HP and that thing has been near bullet proof. The power head has never been opened and the carbs were first open this last year. Only issues I have had were normal wear out, water pumps, drive and prop shaft seals and a few orings. Mine was left idle twice for a year and each time started right up, but I did go to extremes to protect.
The engine delivered near new speed up until last year when I found the compression was beinging to fade (80-90 psi).
So if the 70 is built anything like the 115 you deal has potential if it has been maintained.
My dealer recommends using premium gas as these were designed to run on leaded. Others say no but it hasn't hurt anything and what's a couple of more $$ a tank!
Give 'er a good look over like Racer said and check the control box as the grease on the shift and throttle cams can get brick hard.
Good luck, Mike

Back