Logo

1965 Johnson 9.5 HP throttle limiter

GoF150

I'm having issues with the engine's throttle as it is being limited by some kind of plate when the motor is in reverse gear. When forward is engaged, or when it is in neutral, this plate moves enough out of the way so that the throttle linkage can be opened up completely. However, when in reverse, whatever this plate is called whit a pin, is limiting the throttle linkage from going past the "Start" level on the tiller. I understand the restriction when starting as no not be in reverse, but should the throttle be allowed to fully open when the engine in running and I'm in reverse?

This seemed to start just recently and I was doing lower seal replacement, so maybe when I re attached the lower unit, I did something incorrectly with the shift linkage? Probably hard to tell from images, but one pic shows the restricted plate, and the other is when it is free.

Any insight would be a big help.

Thanks

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 31
Back that camera off so I can tell what I'm looking at. As far as memory goes, throttle is limited to "Start" position in neutral and a little bit higher in reverse, No limitation in forward.

Back that camera off so I can tell what I'm looking at. As far as memory goes, throttle is limited to "Start" position in neutral and a little bit higher in reverse, No limitation in forward.

Here is a little wider shot. Still hard to see, but near center of pic there is a pin that raises and lowers and the shifter linkage raises and lowers. When I raise shift lever up to engage reverse , the mechanism with the pin raises with it and blocks the throttle linkage from opening. In Neutral and Forward, the pin is lowered enough that the throttle fully opens as plate can pass over the pin.

Attachments

• IMG_2610.JPG
    IMG_2610.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 41
OK, it's all coming back to me now. It is my opinion that when you reinstalled the gearcase, you did not align the notch in the shift rod with the screwhole in the brass shift rod connector.

The detent pin in your picture is where it should be in neutral. Putting it in reverse raises the pin so it engages the second notch, allowing more throttle.

Get your shift rod notches aligned with the screwholes in the brass connector, and all will be well.

BTW, as you do that, use a flashlight to peer in there to see that the notch is perfectly aligned with the hole before inserting the screw. If not aligned, the screw's threads will drag on the edge of the notch and ruin the screw. Then it will fall out----but never at dockside. Always 5 miles out.

I too often brag that I could tear down and reassemble a 9.5 blindfolded. Gotta stop saying that, getting too forgetful

The question is " why do you want lots of throttle " in reverse ??

If you consider 1/4 throttle "lots", then yes I want "lots" so I can effectively move the boat in reverse.

I my initial question is if there is a limiter on these engines or if something is out of place on mine.

OK, it's all coming back to me now. It is my opinion that when you reinstalled the gearcase, you did not align the notch in the shift rod with the screwhole in the brass shift rod connector.

The detent pin in your picture is where it should be in neutral. Putting it in reverse raises the pin so it engages the second notch, allowing more throttle.

Get your shift rod notches aligned with the screwholes in the brass connector, and all will be well.

BTW, as you do that, use a flashlight to peer in there to see that the notch is perfectly aligned with the hole before inserting the screw. If not aligned, the screw's threads will drag on the edge of the notch and ruin the screw. Then it will fall out----but never at dockside. Always 5 miles out.

I too often brag that I could tear down and reassemble a 9.5 blindfolded. Gotta stop saying that, getting too forgetful

Thanks buddy. Swing by anytime and I will put you to work blindfolded or not haha

Yes swing by any time !----I have about 10 of these motors for parts / rebuild and all the parts you would ever need for yours.

Back