Logo

1962 Evinrude 75hp surging?

1960Dorsett

Took my boat out for a shakedown cruise yesterday, and the motor is surging. Bought this motor 6months ago as a replacement for the original motor, went through the lower unit, replaced all the fuel, and water hoses, rebuilt the distributor, carburetor, and fuel pump. New spark plugs, new fuel hose, and primer bulb, and checked the gas tank vent. Motor starts ok when cold, but when at operating temperature it is pretty hard to start. When running it seems to run fine for a couple seconds, but then bogs down then picks up again. Hoping someone can shed some light on what might be the problem, or how to check for this defect.

Thanks, Mike.

Compression numbers should be posted.-----Is it the electric shift with battery ignition or a magneto ?-----Does spark jump a gap of 5/16" on all leads ?------Correct fittings on the fuel hose ?----Test run with another fuel tank.

Ran a compression check, cold, readings are 106, 109, 110, 110. Motor is electric shift, battery ignition, and have checked all plugs for spark however not at 5/16" gap, also new points, rotor , and condenser. Have checked fuel pump by disconnecting fuel line to carb and turning over engine to verify it pumps fuel. The fact that it seems to intermittently run good leads me to believe it is a fuel issue. Fitting on fuel hose is new, 3/8" type, and there seems to be no external fuel leakage or I would have smelt it. Will try running from another tank when the rain stops here.

Back