Logo

Any help 1984 25XD Stator replacement has 3 wires instead of 2

kingpatrick

"I really hope someone can hel

"I really hope someone can help me here. Ordered a new stator for a 1984 25XD and really hoped to have the boat out this weekend.

Bought what supposedly replaces my original stator part # from boatbandit.com, but it has THREE wires (red, black and light blue) instead of TWO (black w/yellow, and black w/white), though the part fits perfectly. (SIE 18-5863)

All the manuals, etc. only show the 2 wires, so my ONLY hope is someone on this board telling me how to hook up the 3 wires, or I will have to reorder another part and lose $125, plus that again for a new one.

I've tried hooking up the 3 wires the only logical ways I can see, but the motor won't start. (It started fine before, but didn't charge the battery).

Any help here?

angry.gif

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/bigger/18-5863_big.jpg""

"Patrick, looked through my fa

"Patrick, looked through my factory manuals, even checked the 4 stroke models which I don't work on and can't find a Merc stator for a small outboard that has 3 wires.

Not sure what they sold you, but don't think it belongs on a little Merc...."

"Patrick, a second note to you

"Patrick, a second note to your post. You said the old one worked fine but didn't charge the battery.

It should have only had two wires and DID NOT have charging capabilities.

This model of motor, if equipped, would have a charging stator (separate unit under the flywheel). It would have a second pair of wires - 1 yellow and 1 grey that would go to a rectifier.

If your motor was running with your old stator, and you still have it, put it back. It is not the cause of your battery charging problem...."

"Thanks for your time and atte

"Thanks for your time and attention, Graham.

Sorry to hear its not the charging problem—I ordered the correct stator assembly. But I did put the old one back on for now, and we enjoyed a great Labor Day out on the water.
happy.gif

Apparently I had ordered the wrong one, for 25HPs AFTER 1987, I think. (Mine is a 1984 25XD).

Still not sure what you are saying IS responsible for charging, though. The other stator-looking "block" that is opposite the stator, and ON the stator plate? Is that the rectifier? (I thought I saw this referred to as "Auxillary Stator"...)

Thanks again for what you do here. I do it for other web developers. ;)"

"Patrick, that "other stat

"Patrick, that "other stator" is as you called it, an Auxillary Stator, which I referred to as a charging stator and what I believe Merc calls an Alternator Stator.

That Stator should have the two wires I referred to, 1 grey, 1 yellow and should feed a Rectifier, usually just mounted on the engine block (normally in front of the switchbox).

I will include a photo of the 3 different components.

If your model was originally electric start, it should have had the rectifier to allow for battery charging.

If not, then the rectifier may not be there. You didn't mention that the lack of battery charging was a "new" problem, so I am assuming that it is, and that it charged ok before.

If not, or if it has never charged, you may be missing a component.

In the pic the ignition stator is #1, the alternator/charging/auxillary is #2 and the rectifier is #3. Components 2 and 3 make up the battery charging parts and in either of them will lay your problem of not charging the battery....

88136.jpg
"

"Patrick, one more note - that

"Patrick, one more note - that stator that you purchased appears to be for either a 1973-75 electric start 20 horse or a late 70's 40 horse. The blue and red would feed the switchbox and the black is a ground."

"Hm. Well, I snipped the plug

"Hm. Well, I snipped the plug off the end, and crimped eyelets on the three wires, so I can't return it. Would you like to have it?

P."

Back