Logo

Stator for 68 merc

porter1

Contributing Member
does anyone know if the stator

does anyone know if the stator is still available for a 1968 20 horse merc 200? thanks

"Mike, it is no longer availab

"Mike, it is no longer available from Merc. You will have to hunt around engine recyclers, dealers that may have "old stock" laying around or even try Ebay...."

"thanks, I am not having a pro

"thanks, I am not having a problem yet but the local repair shop says they are a weak point on that motor. also I have no idea if the impeller has ever been changed, it pumps water good, the shop wont work on it, says to old. I am afraid to try to change it myself, I have a seloc repair manual, but I have never done it, how hard is it to do? I would like to keep this motor for awhile it runs perfect, but if something goes wrong, the dealers say its to old to touch, buy a new motor."

"Mike, an impeller change is o

"Mike, an impeller change is on the "easy" side of things to do. And the manual definately helps a great deal (although they sometimes leave some minor information out).

As far as your routine maintenance goes, there isn't much to do on an annual basis.

Change the plugs and the lower unit oil once a year.

Change the impeller every second year.

If the motor is going to be stored for the off season/winter, then, to prevent the carb, lines etc from "gumming" up (a condition when old gas evaporates), you just throw some 2 cycle stablizer in the gas tank the last time you will have the motor out and running. (and you can do it earlier then the last time - won't hurt to run it that way for a week or more).

If nothing else goes wrong with your motor, that is pretty much all the maintenance that is required.

I have 4 (personal) motors, with 3 of them being 20 years old, and have never even had to clean the carbs. Even just "slight" care goes a long way...."

Back