Logo

Triggers or coils

K

Ken Morgan

"I am still investigating the

"I am still investigating the poor idle condition on my 1991 Mariner 115. While I DEFINITELY have ignition issues on cylinders 1 & 2 It changed position when I swapped spark plugs but did not reverse itself when I returned them to their original position or after I replaced the one on the offending cylinder. I find that a bit baffling. Is it realistic to think in terms of trigger failures or is there something that might yield that kind of symptom with the coils? OR...what other issue might manifest itself this way? Keep in mind that compression test were normal so that can be eliminated (not that this symptom, in light of it switching location, would be a compression issue). My thought is toward something controlling the coils hence my thoughts on the triggers. I will be swapping coil position at my first opportunity to eliminate that as the problem, but I have no knowledge of how to check out the triggers."

"it is easy enough to check th

"it is easy enough to check the coils, just switch cylinders with the ones in question to a known good cylinder and if the problem follows the coil from the dead cylinder...problem solved, but how do I go about checking the switch box? I have a strong suspicion that my problem is before the coils but do not know how to confirm it."

Back