Logo

Fuel Pump

keiffer

"Can some one explain how the

"Can some one explain how the fuel pump actually works on a VRO V6 150 HP. Is the fuel actually pulled from the fuel tank by the fuel pump by vaccuum or is it electric? On occasion I see the fuel level drop in my filter then suddenly fill back up. When I push the primer bulb, I have great flow through the pump to the carbs."

"Just Found Doug Selsbee link

"Just Found Doug Selsbee link on the VRO pump from July 13 with the cut-out view and theory of operation. I did find some loose hoses and plenty of ty-wraps used as clamps. I am replacing as time permits. Also the plastic tube from the fuel pump that feeds the carbs had started to come apart in the middle. I can't tell if this was originally glued or just pressed in????? Basically if there are any possible leaks after the fuel pump, I can be sucking air in and loosing the vaccuum needed to get good fuel flow. Does this Sound about right???"

accually if the leak is after

accually if the leak is after the pump the fuel should be shooting out. the pump puts out 3psi and up depending if at idle or WOT.
Now if it not runing the primer bulb should keep the line full unless it's not holding then the line might drain.

"Put the boat in the water at

"Put the boat in the water at the ramp. Started up with no problem after priming. Removed discharge hose of fuel pump. No gas coming out. Put back on and disconnected pulse line from crankcase. and had suction (pulses). I took the fuel pump out and disassembled but couldn't find anything wrong but I am going to replace it anyway. I believe it is original back to 1986. If so, lasted alot longer than it probably should have. Is there a spec on the amount of vaccuum the crank case provides to run the pump? If I put a vaccuum guage inline, I should be able to measure it right???"

Back