Logo

Switch box 90hp 2 stroke

charjo

i am working on a 90 hp 3 cyli

i am working on a 90 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke mariner circa 1989. it has no spark. I have checked the stator and the trigger coil both are o k . the rectifier is fried and I will replace it. My question is can the switch box be checked with an ometer and would the bad rectifier cause switch box failure?

"Yes. A shorted rectifier can

"Yes. A shorted rectifier can cause damage to a swithbox. The switchbox cant be chacked with an Ohm meter. You need a DVA meter to test peak voltages. You can get a DVA meter for about 60 bucks from (www.usatoolwarehouse.com)."

"Toasted rectifier can take ou

"Toasted rectifier can take out the charge Stator (which wouldn't have anywhere to send the power generated by the charge bobbins and they could fry - you either need a working rectifier WITH a battery connected "always" or you can bypass the charge circuit by isolating the two yellow wires to a powerhead ground through an isolation block), but wouldn't affect the switchbox - different circuit all together.

Unless, the bad rectifier took out the entire stator which then took out the switchbox.

I would double check the Stator (all feeds - high, low, charge) with a DVA tester "before" sticking on a new rectifier or switchbox. You don't want to toast the new components if the stator was originally the cause.

Hmmm, almost confused myself with that explaination there
"

"tanks for your input and plea

"tanks for your input and please excuse my delay in replying.I have checked the charge coil, the trigger coil, and the three ignition coils with an ohmeter and they all read within the specs listed in the clymer outboard manual. I have removed the black and yellow striped shutdown wires from the switch box and still no spark.I do not have a dva meter can I verify stator output with a digital multimeter set to ac volts?"

Back