Logo

COBRA Impeller Replacement NEED SCAN OF SERVICE MANUAL

chaz200

"I live on the edge of the pla

"I live on the edge of the planet (Brookings, Or) and would very much appreciate an email of the impeller replacement steps from the service manual or even a photo to identify its exact location.

Couldn't find a manual in the marine supply shops, and want to put in an impeller, and go fishing (the ling cod are hitting big time).

The mechanics I spoke with were not certain of the impeller location on this model.

I am the proud owner of a 76 Reinell with Cobra outdrive and 140 HP GMC engine. It was a one owner and pretty well maintained but neglected as it and its owner aged.

Engine is running hot. I have removed and cleaned the heat exchanger, removed and boiled the exhaust manifold, removed the thermostate (temporairly to be sure that wasn't the issue). My air force trained neighbor/mechanic believes the flow is to low to cool the engine.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Chaz200
Chuck"

"Take of the rear cover,3 crew

"Take of the rear cover,3 crews, on upper drive, then 3 screws holding the pump housing, and there is the impeller, pos 12.
147026.gif
"

"However if not a cobra, came

"However if not a cobra, came later in the market, but the original engine from 76, it is a stringer and more complicated. Drive must be off and split. Impeller is in upper housing.
147029.gif
"

"[b]"76 Reinell with Cobra

""76 Reinell with Cobra outdrive and 140 HP GMC engine."

Ayuh,....

Unless this hull has been refitted,....
You Don't have a Cobra,.....
They didn't come out til the Late 80s......"

"I JUST DID MINE THIS WEEKEND,

"I JUST DID MINE THIS WEEKEND, PIECE OF CAKE. MINE IS A 800 STRINGER, LIKE MORTON POSTED. IF YOU GET THE KIT IT HAS ALL YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE WATERPUMP. IF THE IMPELLER HOUSING IS CORRODED REPLACE IT. AGAIN WITH THE KIT IT IS ALL THERE. CHECK YOUR INTAKE SCREENS ALSO!"

"Dear Bondo,

I suspect my h

"Dear Bondo,

I suspect my hull has been refitted, since I know for sure the engine has been switch out.

This is definitely marked as a 140 HP Cobra.

The parts drawings posted do not match the unit I have.

How do I determine what year the outdrive is so I can order the correct parts?? The top of the outdrive cover has 6 bolts which hold the lower unit on, and I have electric gear shifting.

Thanks

Chaz200"

Some conflicting information.

Some conflicting information. Had the same problem with my 74 Skipjack. Original Power Plant and Outdrive were OMC. Engine was replaced later with a 1999 5 Litre Mercruiser. I did not see any pictures of the Outdrive in your postings. It would be very helpful if you could upload one.

"Photos of 140HP COBRA OUTDRIV

"Photos of 140HP COBRA OUTDRIVE

Please assist in identifying what model and approximate year.

Where do i find model number on the outdrive??
I suspect the engine and outdrive have been replaced on this 1976 Reinell.

147535.jpg
140HP OMC OUTDRIVE"">
147536.jpg
140 HP OMC OUTDRIVE"">
147537.jpg
140 HP OMC OUTDRIVE

"That's a really old strin

"That's a really old stringer drive, where do you get the Cobra from, are you just adding that to the info because someone said it was a Cobra?"

"It is a Low Profile Stringer.

"It is a Low Profile Stringer. The cosmetic design of the Exhaust Housing puts it in the right year as your boat. You should not use Cobra to describe this drive. When I started trying to ID my drive, I originally thought it was an 800 Series. It did not take long becasue of boards like this setting me straight. I hope I can now pass that help forwrd."

"The Impeller is in the bottom

"The Impeller is in the bottom of the Upper Gearcase. It will require removal of the entire OD from the stern and seperate the Upper from the lower. You can find an OEM Service Manual on Ebay. This a link to 1975 but you find it quite accurate. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-OMC-STERN-DRIVE-ENGINE-REAL-SERVICE-MANUAL_W 0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ26453QQihZ010QQitemZ2001 13678283

You may also want a Parts Catalogue. It is a 1974, but it is quite similar to yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-OMC-ENGINE-STERN-DRIVE-FACTORY-PARTS-CATALOG _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ26453QQihZ024QQitemZ37 0011021800

When ordering your parts for the Impeller, it is important that you get an ENTIRE KIT, not just the Impeller. An entire kit will include the Impeller Housing. There are additional items that need to be replaced because of the removal of the Outdrive. Your OEM OMC Manual you get will point them out."

Back